Our mission is to provide lifelong learning for optometrists. We believe that by enhancing your knowledge base, you will be able to improve the efficiency of your office, serve your patients better, become a more successful doctor, and thereby strengthen the profession.
ICO’s Office of Continuing Education offers programs conveniently located on campus. Certified (Transcript Quality) and regular courses are offered. Additionally, all courses are submitted for COPE approval.
We pride ourselves in offering high quality, practical, and professional programs to suit all interests. In fact, we develop our programs based on your suggestions and feedback. By providing a variety of topics from which to choose, we make it easy for you to complete your licensure requirements.
Click here to see our upcoming CE Events
Missing some continuing education documentation? Just click on the link below to download a request form and fax to the CE office for the most efficient way to get the materials you need.
CE Documentation Request Form.
Thank you for visiting. Hope to see you at a future CE course!
Coordinator of Continuing Education
Illinois College of Optometry
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation - Information about license requirements and renewal for Illinois
ICO Matters is the official alumni magazine of the Illinois College of Optometry. Published three times per year, the magazine showcases what is happening with ICO alumni, current students and in the field of optometry. No matter what kind of news you have – whether it’s a new practice opportunity or a new baby – the ICO Matters staff wants to know so we can let your classmates know, too.
The Illinois College of Optometry is now offering alumni e-mail addresses to ICO graduates and graduates of affiliate colleges (NICO, CCO, and MCO).
The purpose of offering alumni e-mail accounts is to provide you with a professional email address to use on your web site, business cards and letterhead. People will take one look at your e-mail address and know immediately that you are a graduate of ICO, which is something to be very proud of. It also helps us stay connected with you throughout your career and beyond, and it serves as a means to maintain your affiliation with the College.
Transcripts for ICO alumni are compliments of the Alumni Association. Please note that there is a fee for a duplicate diploma ($50.00 for 13x18 size and $25.00 for 8x12 size).
When requesting a transcript or duplicate diploma, we must receive your request in writing to:
Illinois College of Optometry
Attn: Registrar's Office
3241 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60616
Or fax: (312) 949-7680
If you have any questions regarding transcripts or duplicate diplomas, please call the Registrar's Office at (312) 949-7425.
The ICO Library offers a variety of services and is happy to support the needs of
Library support services available:
- Copies of articles for journals (within copyright laws)
- Loans from the book collection
- Online Library Catalog access at: http://library.ico.edu
- Literature searches of PubMed (MEDLINE), VisionCite, et al.
- Loansome Doc services
- Reference questions answered
Also available is VisionCite, the library’s specialized index of the vision science literature (formerly VAL):
- 300,500 citations from 1984- covering the optometric and ophthalmic literature
- Indexes over 120 titles, including many not available in PubMed
- 12,000 articles added yearly
- 20% discount for ICO Alumni
- 100% discount for Leadership Circle members
Donations to the Library:
The library staff is glad to accept book and journal donations from alumni. All material donated is evaluated. However, College policy prohibits us to place a value on the items. The library reserves the right to add the material to the collection or offer it to other libraries or the students and faculty.
Whether you want to reconnect with old friends, network with colleagues or refer a patient, the Illinois College of Optometry's Online Alumni Directory can be a great resource for you.
How it works
Click on "Register for an Account." After signing-up, you will receive an e-mail confirming your registration and indicating that your account will be reviewed to verify that you are an ICO alumnus. Please note that accounts will be reviewed and approved during business hours: Monday - Friday from 9:00 - 5:00 pm, Central time.
We will send you another e-mail to let you know that your account has been approved. Be sure to remember your log-in ID and your password, as we do not keep a record of them at the College.
The Illinois College of Optometry offers numerous services and resources to keep you connected with the College and other alumni, to enhance your knowledge and to help you succeed in practice. Most services are offered free of charge to ICO alumni and graduates of our affiliate colleges (Northern Illinois College of Optometry, Chicago College of Optometry and Monroe College of Optometry).
- Search for classmates and colleagues through our online alumni directory.
- If you are looking for an associate or an associate position, the online professional opportunities listings are a great resource.
- There are also a number of library services that are offered to help you find articles and information on topics from patient care to practice management.
- If you are in the process of getting licensed, you can request your official transcript, or if you are opening a 2nd office, you can request a duplicate diploma (nominal printing fee).
- If you have changed locations and would like to keep receiving news about the College, you may update your contact information by submitting a change of address form. We often get calls and emails from doctors needing to refer a patient to an ICO alumnus in another city or state, therefore your current contact information is vital in order for us to give you referrals.
- Lastly, you may also request an ICO alumni e-mail address.
Whatever your needs are, we hope to meet and exceed your expectations!
For more than 20 years, the Alumni Association has celebrated the achievements of those who have excelled in the optometric profession.
Please join us in congratulating the 2010 Alumni Association Award recipients!
Illinois Sen. Kwame Raoul and OneSight
Alumnus of the Year Award
Walter H. Mayo, OD ‘85
Distinguished Friend Awards
Dan & Denise Reberski (Star Ophthalmic Instruments)
Sharon Uher (ICO)
Lifetime Service Award
Robert L. Johnson, OD ‘69 (posthumously)
Professional Achievement Award
David W. Hansen, OD ‘71, FAAO, FCOVD
Excellence in Education Award
Daniel K. Roberts, OD, PhD
Young Alumnus of the Year Award
Geoffrey Goodfellow, OD ‘01, FAAO
Pamela A. Lowe, OD '88, FAAO
Nicholas Colatrella, OD '96, FAAO
Andrea McCann, OD '04, FAAO
Sandra Block, OD '81, FAAO
Stephen Eap, OD '90, JD
Tommy Lim, OD '77
Bill M. Park, OD '77
Nikki Rai, OD '03, FAAO
Larry Van Daalen, OD '87
Jeanette C. Varanelli, OD '97, FAAO
Kevin Cassin '14
Andy Ritter '15