ICO has an organized mentor program to connect students with professionals about potential career choices, the business aspects of optometry, best practices, and day-to-day experiences. The ICO Mentor Program is led and managed by a group of students known as ICO Pro.
ICO Pro believes having a mentor is of great value and that it’s more about making contacts and sharing information than asking for job/internship leads. ICO mentors are professionals who volunteer their time to network with Illinois College of Optometry students and provide advice and career insight. ICO Pro has reached out to alumni and secured a team of mentors to help students through any number of situations including:
• Exploring different career options
• Preparing for an upcoming interview
• Revising a resume to better fit a job position
• Transitioning into “Life after ICO”
• Building a professional network locally and out-of-state