The Illinois College of Optometry has a long and distinguished legacy as the oldest continually operating educational facility in the world dedicated solely to the teaching of optometrists. Since its founding in 1872 by Dr. Henry Olin, ICO has remained at the forefront of optometry through the dedicated efforts of faculty, students and alumni. Throughout its time in operation, ICO has been committed to providing an unsurpassed educational experience to optometry students who share our passion for excellence.
The mission of the Illinois College of Optometry is to develop highly qualified clinical optometrists through excellence in optometric education.
- High expectations for outstanding academic and clinical performance by our students
- Superior academic programs in an environment that strives to exceed the expectations of students with varied learning styles
- Diverse learning experiences in coordinated clinical care that demonstrate optometry's role in an integrated health care model
- Continued evolution of eye care through the delivery of innovative services within the IEI and its satellites
- Scholarly activity that expands the body of knowledge
- An environment that fosters the development of leaders in the profession and in our communities
- Diversity among our students, faculty, staff and governing board
- Professionalism and integrity in all that we do
- Recruitment of the most qualified students, faculty and staff
- A commitment to lifelong learning
ICO's 2013-2017 Strategic Plan