Focus on Your Future
July 15-19, 2013
Focus on Your Future is a weeklong program aimed at introducing ICO and the profession of optometry to underrepresented minority undergraduates. Participants will be meet ICO staff, faculty, students and alumni, and get to know the wonderful city of Chicago. The program includes:
- Sample lectures of optometry courses
- Overview of the admissions process
- Career and leadership development
- Clinical exposure
- Student and OD panels
Participants are housed at no charge in ICO's Residential Complex, located across the street from the college. At the end of the program, participants will receive a certificate of completion.
To review last year's program, click here.
Open to underrepresented minorities who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program either in their first, second or third year. We will also accept applications for students who are enrolled in a community college, post-baccalaureate or graduate program. There is no cost to participate in this program. Participants are only responsible for their travel expenses and/or transportation to and from ICO.
We've extendend our application deadline. If you're submitting online, all materials must be in by Monday, April 8. If you're submitting by mail, your application must by postmarked by this date.
Students interested in the program must submit the following:
- Online Application
- Completed application & Pre-Optometry Coursework Sheet
- One page personal statement describing your interest in participating in the program and your motivation to pursue optometry
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- One academic letter from a faculty member or advisor
- Optional: 2x2 photo
Applicants will be notified of acceptance no later than Friday, May 3.
For questions about the Focus on Your Future, please contact:
Teisha Johnson, MS
Director of Admissions/Marketing
Illinois College of Optometry
3241 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60616