History & Mission
The Illinois College of Optometry has a long and distinguished legacy as the oldest continually operating educational facility in the world dedicated solely to the teaching of optometrists. Since its founding in 1872 by Dr. Henry Olin, ICO has remained at the forefront of optometry through the dedicated efforts of faculty, students and alumni.
For more than 135 years, the Illinois College of Optometry has been dedicated to providing an unsurpassed educational experience to optometry students who share our passion for excellence.
The mission of the Illinois College of Optometry is to provide excellence in optometric clinical education.
- ICO will foster high expectations for academic and clinical excellence of our students.
- Experience in providing contemporary patient care is essential to fulfill ICO’s mission. The Illinois Eye Institute, as the clinical division of the College, will support the mission through its patient care, clinical training and research initiatives.
- A commitment by the faculty to contribute to the body of knowledge through scholarly activity or patient care excellence is expected.
- An atmosphere and community of influence is expected at ICO to foster the development of leaders in the profession and in our communities.
- Members of the ICO community will act with integrity and will respect the dignity of the individual.
- ICO will recruit highly qualified students from diverse backgrounds and prepare them for a lifetime of health care practice.