The Illinois College of Optometry has a strong commitment to excellence in research. Research projects at ICO involve a broad range of disciplines in biomedical sciences, visual sciences, and clinical studies. ICO researchers receive support from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Eye Institute (NEI), and other foundations, such as the National Keratoconus Foundation, Children Care Foundation, Illinois Society for the Prevention of Blindness, and Field Foundation of Illinois. The College also provides an intramural grant program to support the
research of faculty, residents, and students.
ICO students are required to complete a research and scholarly project during their 4-year optometry training. Along with faculty, many students present their research projects at professional meetings of national organizations including the American Academy of Optometry, American Optometric Association, and Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology.
ICO also holds a research symposium once a year. Faculty, residents, and students present their research work and discuss the future potential studies during the symposium. In addition, the College sponsors visiting professors yearly around to encourage communication and collaboration in research.
Clinical Research Studies
• Family study of CTRP5 mutation, long zonules, macular degeneration and glaucoma
• Provision of Low Vision Rehabilitation Services and Devices to Increase Quality of Life in Senior with Vision Loss
• Phase I and II: Community-based multi-center randomized control trial of peripheral prism glasses for hemianopia
• Amblyopia Treatment Studies (ATS)
• A Randomized Clinical Trial of Observation versus Occlusion Therapy for Intermittent Exotropia (IXT)
• A Prospective Pilot Study of Treatment Outcomes for Amblyopia Associated with Myopic Anisometropia
• A Prospective Study on Diagnosing Optic Nerve Hypoplasia and Treatment of Associated Amblyopia
• The Vision of Hope Health Alliance
• Pediatric Outreach Program
• The Interrelationship of Five Oculomotor Diagnostic Tests and their Associated Binocular Vision Correlates"
• Spatial Perception of Amblyopes
• Contact Lens Adaptation: Comfort Over Time
• Efficacy of Topical Azithromycin (Azasite) Ophthalmic Solution in the Treatment of Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome
Laboratory Research Studies
• Hetereogeneity of dose and time effects of estradiol benzoate on neuron-specific protein and phosphorylated cyclic AMP response element-binding protein in the hippocampus of ovariectomized rats.
• Post-synaptic Mechanisms for depression and antidepressants: Studies in model systems
• Psychophysical Magnocellular and Parvocellular Pathway Contrast Gain in Patients with Optic Neuritis and Multiple Sclerosis
• Yellow-tinted Lenses and Pupil Size