Join us for a lifetime of learning.
One of the missions of the Illinois College of Optometry is to provide lifelong education to optometrists. We believe that by enhancing your knowledge base, you will be able to improve the efficiency of your practice, serve your patients better, become a more successful doctor, and thereby strengthen the profession.
The Continuing Education Department offers certified and regular courses both on-campus and online. We offer a variety of topics to choose from, and all courses are submitted for COPE approval. ICO CE is open to all optometrists, not just alumni.
To pay for CE registration by check, download and complete this form.
Upcoming Continuing Education
SAVE THE DATE FOR OUR WINTER PROGRAM
Join ICO Faculty members Denise Alexopoulos, OD; Michael Chaglasian, OD; and Tracy Matchinsky, OD for a live virtual CE event on February 21, 2021.
Registration Coming Soon
For Illinois ODs
On Thursday, November 12, the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation announced that Illinois Optometrists may complete all 30 hours of their CE online. No Tested CE will be required for the 2020-2022 licensing period. Please see the notice for details.
CE Requirements for the Illinois 2020-2022 Licensing Period:
30 hours are required for renewal:
• Of which, no more than four (4) hours can be practice management
• One (1) hour of an in-person CPR course may be counted towards your regular hours. The course must be certified by the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, an Illinois licensed hospital, an approved medical or optometric institution, or a licensed CE sponsor. CPR is not required for licensure.
• One (1) hour of sexual harassment CE must be taken by all licensed optometrists.
• Three (3) hours of safe opioid prescribing CE must be taken by all optometrists who hold a Controlled Substance license.
• First time licensees are exempt from CE requirements at the time of their first renewal with the three-hour opioid CE requirement for those who hold a controlled substance license, even if this is the first renewal.
These requirements are in effect for the 2020-2022 licensing period only. The IDFPR may change these rules before the renewal period is over.
IL Dept of Professional Regulation
Our online CE portal offers access to COPE-approved courses developed by leading content experts right here at ICO! Registration is easy. Just click the link below to access our portal and sign up. Once logged in, you’ll have access to ICO’s CE courses anytime, anywhere. Courses are viewable for a full week after purchase, and can be conveniently paused to suit your schedule.