For the past few months, our admissions office has been in full swing interviewing and accepting ICO's Class of 2025. For those who may feel daunted by the many steps needed to complete your optometry application, we've broken the application down into 5 easy steps.
Optometry is a wonderful profession and we look forward to being a part of your journey to becoming an OD.
If you are interested in joining the Class of 2025, there is plenty of time to apply but there are a limited number of seats -- we encourage you to apply early! To get started, follow these basic steps:
1. GATHER YOUR MATERIALS
• Get two letters of recommendation.
One academic -- including from a professor with whom you have taken coursework, an academic advisor, or an academic committee.
One professional -- including from a practicing, non-relative optometrist.
• Take the Optometry Admission Test (OAT).
This is a test that nearly all optometry institutions will require. You can register for the test at opted.org and view an online info booklet.
• Complete Prerequisite Courses
To assure you are ready for optometry school, we require a series of college-level pre-optometry courses prior to admission.
2. APPLY TO ICO
• Submit application and supporting materials through OptomCAS July 1 - February 15.
Like with all optometry schools in the US, applicants must apply
through the Optometry Centralized Application Service (OptomCAS).
ICO’s application deadline will be February 15, 2021.
3. SUBMIT ADDITIONAL MATERIALS TO ICO
Submit the OptomCAS application (including personal statement, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and application fee.)
Submit ICO’s Interview Profile Forms (including the Pre-Optometry Coursework Sheet, and essay). Only those deemed competitive by the Admissions Committee will be invited to fill out the forms.
Request your OAT and/or GRE scores be sent to ICO.
If English is a second language, request your TOEFL scores be sent to ICO. ICO’s institutional code is 1317.
• If invited, you will interview remotely. Interviews are conducted one-on-one with a faculty or ICO Administrator member between September and April.
5. DEPOSIT AT ICO
• Receive the Admissions Committee’s decision within two to three weeks of your interview. Once accepted you will send the required tuition deposit as outlined in your letter of acceptance. This deposit is applied to first year tuition.
STUDENT VOICES: Learn how some of our students made it to ICO.
Wondering how to tackle the OAT? Check out Alek's blog post!
Wondering how to put together a good application? Learn from Rachel's steps and missteps.
Wondering about a gap year? Lauren looks at how taking a gap year affected her first year at ICO.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? Contact our Office of Admissions with any questions about the application process at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also have information for re-applicant and current optometry students looking to transfer on our website at ico.edu/how-to-apply.